I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT TEMPTATION

Friday, May 11, 2012

Stick-to-it-iveness

I've been toying with the idea of doing a juice fast ever since we had a temp in the office a year and a half ago who did one that involved a foul smelling liquid ingested three times a day over 9 days. With that kind of endorsement, I don't know why more people aren't transforming this trend currently practiced by select crazy hippies/conspiracy theorists into a full blown fad endorsed by overly fake-tanned blondes and reality show celebrities everywhere.

For me, ideas like this fall into two categories: Category A = things I think about doing and then do, and Category B = things I think about doing and then talk a lot about doing and then never do. This had all the earmarks of a Category B idea and so I continued thinking about it and never doing it, pleased in my positive healthy thinking.

Then Jerry told me he'd been doing something like this for a while and it was making him feel energized and healthy and that he was also seeing significant weight loss. The competitive spirit in me kicked in, and I thought "well if HE can do it, then I sure as shit should be able to!" I went to Costco and discovered that they sell Odwalla Superfood by the two-pack for a measly five bucks, and if one serving is 8 ounces, then that's 8 meals for 63 cents each! My God, the savings!! I quickly made my purchase and let my mind roam free over the transformation I was about to experience. Nevermind the fact that I didn't even know if I'd like Superfood and also kind of have always been afraid of it (green liquid should never be consumed, that's just a fact) - I was going to replace my meals with juice, starting now.

I got home after work and put my "extremely perishable" juice into the fridge. I waited till the last possible moment to drink it, since I knew it wasn't going to fill me up and I didn't want to have hours and hours of being starving before bed. I sipped it and found it palatable, which was a pleasant surprise. I drank 8 oz over the next 30 minutes to try to draw out my meal, and preoccupied my brain with recorded episodes of Justified.

I was hungry 30 minutes later.

I immediately made the decision that I should probably ease into my fast. No need to replace every meal with juice; maybe just one or two to start with. Okay, two. That's doable. I vowed to have both lunch and dinner the next day of Superfood. When breakfast rolled along, I ate yogurt and granola per usual and waited for my disappointing lunchtime to roll around.

But...but there were COOKIES at lunch! I'm not made of stone. I ate the shit out of a cookie.

Aaaaaaannnnd thus ended my juice fast. It was fun while it lasted.

No comments: