I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT TEMPTATION

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Post #100, holy shit it's Election Day

So...today's the big day. I voted this morning at 7AM, did you? You better have. And right away, I was scared. Why? Because the volunteers running the polling place didn't exactly instill confidence in me that the most important job they're not getting paid for of their lives was going to be carried out successfully. As I was waiting in line in the freezing cold for half an hour, I had ample time to read the rules and rights we voters have. So, when I was finally inside, and a young-ish woman went up next to me as I was receiving my ballot explaining that she had made a mistake and could she please have another ballot, I knew this was within her rights to get it. However, the white-haired retiree who she was facing did not seem to have read that bulletin on the teacher's lounge wall. She took the ballot and immediately began screeching, "What do I do? This young woman's spoiled her ballot. SPOILED IT! What to do??" Finally, one of the other workers explained that she was to allowed to mess up three times (sweet jesus) before she could finally be denied a replacement ballot. Fine. The poor embarrassed woman walked off with her unspoiled ballot, presumably to go sit for another ten minutes making damn sure she didn't write outside the lines again. But that wasn't the worst. When I went back to drop off my ballot, the same confused volunteer was now shrieking because she could not find that "spoiled" ballot. Mother of God. This is probably happening all over the country.

I'm gonna need a drink tonight to calm my nerves as I attempt to track the results without TV. This election has become kind of a beacon of hope for a lot of people, and while a change in the White House may not do all that we want it to, at least it would be a start. I really think one of the most important outcomes, should Obama win, would be the restoration of at least an iota of respect for America overseas. And that is huge. Cause in case you haven't noticed people, we have no credibility in other countries. I know there's nothing I can do to stop whatever's going to happen at this point, but I'm more than a little afraid. Because clearly we can't trust people to make the right decisions, or to use reason or good judgment, and that's frightening.

But hey, Krispy Kreme is giving away free donuts in the shape of stars today. So if McCain does win, I can always start in on the diabetes. And follow it up with a nice helping of ice cream, courtesy of Ben & Jerry's.

No comments: