I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT TEMPTATION

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

home...not sweet home

If ever there was a moment in my life where I wanted to run away to a faraway island and live the life of a common street hooker on the beach, it was yesterday at around 1:30 PM Hawaiian time as I got my last glimpse of the palm trees outside the airport window of gate 87. I have never known true sadness until that moment. And oh how it pressed on my heart.

Maui was...incredible. We saw a crapload of humpback whales, a sea turtle like ten feet from the beach, some chickens on the side of the road, and a snake crossing (and almost making it) the highway. Sadly, he gave his life so our hideous PT cruiser could continue at 55 mph unobstructed. We won a free whale watching trip at the breakfast orientation our first morning there, and no I didn't get seasick, thank you very much. Not even after I saw the little Japanese girl toss her cookies into an inadequately-sized ziplock sandwich bag unsteadily held by her mother. Really? That's the best you brought in case of vomiting induced by the obviously unsteady seas for one of your ten children? Chances were good that at least ONE of them was gonna hurl, so maybe a larger sized bag might have been in order. Freezer, at the very least. That was gross, but I kept my camera focused on the horizon where whales were breaching right and left. I found it hilarious that our female whale researcher/seasoned whale watch tour guide kept proclaiming in shocked voice how "That's the FIRST time I've ever seen a whale do that!" and "WOW you guys are so lucky, this is aMAZing, whales never blow water out of their spouts like that!!!" She may have fooled some of the other passengers, but I knew better.

So I experienced loads of cool things on this trip and had a whole boatload of firsts: first helicopter ride, first fish taco, first total immersion in la mar (despite horrible death fear of being immediately ingested by a shark of some kind), first whale watch, first sighting of a humpback whale in general, first sneaking in to fancy resort pool (and oh my god was it worth it) and first nude beach sighting. I won't go into the details on THAT. Rest assured, good times were had by all, and I am already planning a return trip.

The bad news? Coming home to an even messier apartment than I left because maintence had decided to finally begin the remodeling of my unit. After 6 months of my living there. While I'm on vacation. Without my permission to enter, and without me moving a single thing that should most likely have been moved. I called the managers office today and found out that there is a stand-in property manager for the next month who knows absolutely nothing of the remodel schedule and is kind of saucy when it comes to trivial questions such as when will my apartment be liveable again. Welcome home!

No comments: