I CAN RESIST EVERYTHING EXCEPT TEMPTATION

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

mistakes were made

I took the Psychology challenge test last night. After frantically attempting to learn Psych on the internet for three hours. While coughing up my lungs. On my teacher's computer. During a lame-o "deep" psychological intro film. In a darkened classroom. I'll be brief.

I totally failed.

While the teacher was skimming my test after I was done, I heard comments like "oh dear" and "hmmm" and "did you make this up?" and even, to my deep shame, a few chuckles. It's always nice to hear that someone thinks you're creative. But when this adjective is accompanied by a somewhat patronizing back pat, when you have just spent an hour and a half attempting to sound convincingly intelligent, it is a bit crushing to the ego. Which, from my cramming yesterday, I learned lies in the subconscious. But I scored 80% or above on all of the chapter quizzes on allpsych.com! And I managed to learn 8 chapters of material in a few hours!! Does this count for nothing? Apparently, since I did not know that Carl Jung came up with the theory of meaningful coincidence when a patient was describing a dream about a scarab and a beetle flew into the room. I expected some general multiple choice, maybe a couple short paragraph answers. But what I got was 20 open-ended questions on really specific theories or events in the history of Psychology. So yeah, I made things up. Cross my fingers that my "creativity" got me a C or better.

No comments: